Lipoma - Fatty tissue Tumor Update - TLC Mom

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Lipoma - Fatty tissue Tumor Update

 As many know my beautiful baby girl has had a bump on the side of her head called a Lipoma, since she was a month old. I discussed it in a previous post Lipoma . Since then we've been keeping an eye on things. It's painfully obvious that the bump is infact growing with her and for me it's at an uncomfortable rate. When your child grows before your eyes we don't normally notice the little changes as much as a person who hasn't seen them in a while would. So when I was looking at a photo of her Eating her first solids (yet another post for another day promise!) I noticed how much it stood out. I riffled through my phone gallery to find a photo of her a month and a half ago to do a comparison. My heart went in my throat when I saw just how much it had grown. Part of me is upset that I didn't notice it grew this much sooner. We will bring this photo with us to her Pediatrician and see what she suggests. I'm not entirely impressed with her given the last time we saw her she said "It looks like it's shrunk." Umm okay you haven't seen her in two months, you see a ton of children each day and your going to say to me you looks like it shrunk? What do you have to compare it to? Using my handy collage option on my phone I've put the two photos side by side. I'm hoping she'll see just how it has not shrunk.

Please be sure to check out my updates regarding her bump. Anastasia since originally being diagnosed with a Lipoma has been re-evaluated by a pediatric surgeon and with the assistance of an ultrasound they were able to definitively say it was not a Lipoma but she has a Hemangioma. 

Lipoma on her head


As stated in the previous post I was hoping we'd manage to get away with postponing any possible surgery talk until she was two. The fact that it's grown as much as it has leaves me thinking it's unrealistic and likely to happen before she's one. I spoke with one of our Nurse Practitioners and I showed her this photo. She agreed with my hunches that we need to move forward. We still have to go see her doctor mind you but this is what will likely happen. Get a CT scan done to see if there's any tumor below the bone and get a better feel for it overall, also to see if there's any blood source feeding it. After that they'll see if it's attached to any bone structures. If there is any just under her skull bone they will want to remove that before her skull fuses together and the tumor causes further issues (ie pressure on her brain)

I've spoken with others who have had this and there's a resonating answer of it's an easy procedure. I greatly appreciate those stories. But many of them did not involve the skull and were well into their toddler hood before removal was done :( There's something about my baby going under the knife at this age that just leaves me feeling upset. Likely more dramatic in my mind, mind you but it just saddens me that it didn't just shrink, go away and never bother us again. I don't want her in pain and I don't want this to become a bigger problem given it's placement on her head and the bigger it gets the more there is to remove, meaning more scar tissue. I'm really hoping that I can look back on this post and give my past self a virtual pat on the back saying "Everything went just fine, it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be."

We'll know more details and what the doctor thinks come next week. I don't want her to have to have surgery this young, but I also don't want this to continue to grow, I can't see the benefit of allowing that. I'll keep you updated when we know what's going to happen.



------------------------------------------- 

If you have a moment please vote for our blog, by clicking the banner below.

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete