First Lap around the rink - TLC Mom

Monday, January 27, 2014

First Lap around the rink

As you may not know I love and have always loved hockey. It's second to breathing for me and it's been very hard for these past 3 years to have not been able to play hockey. But a short second is that I at least am able to get on the ice and do some laps at our local rink Public Skate. I really wanted to try and get out while I was pregnant but time just went by to fast and it seemed like every weekend we were busy or I was just plain to tired to go.

Yesterday was the first time in a year that I went back on the ice. What a bitter sweet moment that was. As in my arms was a sweet little angel looking up at me in awe at this new sensation and movement. Having her with me, skating just was a moment I can't entirely put into words. In that moment everything felt complete. Even more so when Paul skated next to us (albeit a bit choppy but he's learning and doing so well). To have her be apart of something that has been such a huge influence in my life was truly something special. Hockey has taken me many places in life, it's allowed me to play for my province, go to University on a full scholarship and without that I would never have met Paul and started on my career path. It has a hand in pretty much every important life event. Minus having my daughter of course ;) But without hockey again Paul and I wouldn't be together.

A treasured 1st for Anastasia. First lap around an ice rink.


I hope that in life she finds something she's just as passionate about. It's okay if it's not hockey, that's my passion not hers. But I do hope she finds something that can just make every pain, sorrow, every worry of the day just melt away and fade in the background like hockey and skating has done for me for a great many years. The ice rink is my home and it always welcomes me back with wide open arms.

No comments: