Spit up and Digestive Tract problems - TLC Mom

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spit up and Digestive Tract problems


Since she was born Anastasia has been one heck of a spit up monster. To a point that I did get worried, but when she was reaching all her weight milestones we were fine with it. After many questions to the Ped she said it was also normal. But I question how normal it is to have a child who spits up after EVERY feeding. This included either breastfeeding sessions or formula.

Then came the switch to mostly formula as I'm just really not producing a decent amount. I'm doing what I can but she's getting at most 4 oz of breast milk a day. So we've noticed a huge change in her BM's. Not only how many she has but also the hardness. It's gotten to the point that I know without a doubt she's very constipated. Her stools are so so hard and she just really hurts every time she gets close to having a movement. Not to mention I actually notice far more spit ups no these days.

I just want her to feel better and I'm not sure what to do. We do try hot baths, a little bit of prune juice when the constipation gets really bad and I try as much as I can to give her as much breast milk as possible. Harder to do now that she really has no patience to wait for my let down, which has this mommy a tad annoyed at that situation of having to pump knowing she'd get far more out of me if she did the job herself. Not that I can blame her. She's like her mother and wants instant gratification ;) I'm hoping with a call into the Ped that she can fill me in as to what we should do. I've been looking at other formulas such as Enfamil AR as it seems to really speak to both the spitting up and digestive health. I'll see if her Ped agrees. If she doesn't and her suggestions do not work, whatever those will be. Mommy will make an executive decision to switch because this cannot continue without trying to fix it.

She's still sleeping great at night getting a little stuffy as of late so she's been sleeping in her rock and play. Which I'm finding is making a world of difference. I'm not waking to hearing her having difficulty breathing because of her nose being stuffed up. Nor am I having to wake her to get the mucus out in the middle of the night when it gets really bad. We both enjoy our sleep and neither one of us is cheery when we have to do this. (I do realize I have it so good with her sleeping through the night. Please know I realize that. But when you have it good you sometimes like it to stay that way at least before the 4 month regression will likely hit). When I hear back and hopefully when things get better for her I'll post on what we did to help alleviate her spit up and constipation.
Morning snuggles with my girl



No comments: